Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Biscuits With Cream Cheese Hearts

I love breakfasts at B&Bs. Unlike at hotels, the food is usually much better, and more likely than not, served from the heart. One memorable B&B breakfast I had was from a small B&B in Ulster county, New York, years and years ago. The highlight was this incredible sweet roll filled with warm cream cheese. I guess the owner of the B&B couldn't help but notice how much I liked them, because as we were leaving, she slipped me the recipe. I've been meaning to make them, but only now had the chance! I have to say, they're better than I remembered.



Biscuits With Cream Cheese Hearts

From Sunset cookbook, tasted at Orchard House, and slightly revised by me

1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice mix (the original recipe called for straight ground cinnamon)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (the original recipe called for almond extract, but I didn't have any so I substituted)
3 tablespoons of melted butter or margarine
1 3 ounce package of cream cheese, cut into 10 equal portions
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts (the original recipe called for almonds to go with the almond extract)
1 package (10 pieces) or refrigerated biscuits like the Pillsbury kind

In a small bowl, combine sugar and pumpkin spice mix. In another small bowl, combine vanilla extract and butter. Dip each piece of cheese in butter, then roll in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Lay the pieces side by side on waxed paper. Mix walnuts with the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Separate the biscuits and pat each into roughly 3 inch rounds. Place a piece of cheese in the center and pinch the dough edges to seal. Dip the filled biscuits in butter and then roll in the cinnamon/nut/sugar mixture.

Place each biscuit, seam side down, in an ungreased 2 1/2 inch muffin cup tray (I just put them on a baking tray, but the muffin tray will help the biscuits from popping open). Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the muffin tray immediately and let cool for ten minutes. Serve warm. (You can cover and chill any leftovers, just reheat in a 350 degree oven until warm, about 20 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment