Friday, July 17, 2009

Feta Sushi Roll

Well, they do say necessity is the mother of invention. And a lot of barmy concoctions in the kitchen, I'll bet. Like today. I'm making sushi rolls and I go to get eggs for the tamago and there's only one egg and the egg is cracked. Now, I don't want to risk food poisoning, but, looking in the refrigerator, there really isn't anything I can replace the egg with except feta cheese. And I think, okay. Feta cheese rolls.

Not as bad as it sounds, I'm glad to report. After all, cheese and rice is a basic in many European countries. So I make the sushi rice. And I cut up the feta cheese into nice thin slabs. I then moisten the feta cheese with the soy sauce-dashi mixture I was going to use for the tamago. And I add finely sliced mint, with a smear of wasabi. And voila. Feta cheese sushi rolls. Why not? About time there was a Japanese-Greek fusion dish!

How did it turn out? I'd give it a solid B.

1 comment: