Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hamburger Buns

Today, I really wanted to make hamburgers for lunch.  Unfortunately, we didn't have any buns.  I thought about making a quick trip to the store to buy some, but then the thought of those horrible tasting store buns made me think twice.  I had several bun recipes but those recipes take four-five hours with all the rising and stuff.  And then I began to wonder about  Ken Hom's baos (see post below for recipe).  They only take about 30 minutes.  Would they make good hamburger buns?  The answer was a decisive yes.  They made fantastic hamburger buns, flavorful, tender yet sturdy enough to stand up to all the juices of a good burger.  I only made two small changes.  I added about 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the dough, and, instead of steaming them, put them into a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.  This is now my go-to recipe for any kind of bun:  hamburger, sandwich, hot dog.

BTW, I made the hamburger patty from some tri-tip I got at Costco.  $4.99 a pound and packed with flavor — not like supermarket meat at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment