Friday, December 19, 2008

What I Just Cooked: Chicken Faux Crepes

Chicken Faux Crepes

I had a bunch of scraps in the refrigerator so I thought I'd make chicken crepes for dinner. But come dinner time, I just felt too shitty to make crepes from scratch. So I decided to use Whole Food's homemade flour tortillas instead of making crepes.* For the filling I sauteed diced white onions, left-over chicken, squash, and mushrooms. I added a cube of homemade chicken stock (I always keep some in the freezer), about a half cup of water, and about a quarter cup of cream. After reducing the liquid a bit, I added about a cup of sharp cheddar. Meanwhile, I was warming the tortillas in a 300 degree oven. When the filling was ready, I put the two things together and voila.

How did things turn out? I'd give the dish a C+. But dishes don't tend to taste very good when the cook is feeling out of it.

*Whole Foods makes their own flour tortillas in-store, but only at a very few locations. We have to go all the way to Pasadena, where they have a super store in the middle of downtown. Who knew you can get Eco bras at Whole Foods? The super store has everything, unless you actually need it, and then they're out. Murphy's Law.

BTW, Julia Child grew up in Pasadena.

2 comments:

  1. I consumed one of the above-described crepes and I can vouch that it was better than a C+.

    ReplyDelete