Thursday, December 25, 2008

What I Just Cooked: Schweinshaxen

Schweinshaxen. I bought a small piece of pork leg, mainly because it was so cheap. Usually I steam-roast it, smearing it in fresh ginger and garlic. But I decided to go German this time. In a roasting pan (which at the moment is my old Cuisinart skillet), I made a bed of leeks, mainly using the tough green parts that aren't good for anything but flavoring soups. There, on the bed of verdant green, I gently rested my pork leg. This one had a nice layer of skin. In order for the flavors to seep in, I slashed the skin in several places. Then I gave the pork a rub down of coarse salt and pepper and garlic. It was now ready to go into the oven, which I turned up to 450 degrees. I also put a layer of foil over the roast to let it steam a little. After fifteen minutes, I turned the oven down to 300 degrees and removed the foil. I also poured some Paulaner Salvator beer over the top. From then on, every thirty minutes, I continued to shower the pork with Salvator. This is why I'm calling this Schweinshaxen. The overall cooking time was about five hours.

How did it turn out? I'd give my faux Schweinshaxen an A. Because the next day, the leftover pork had the most amazing aroma of beer. I love boozy meat. Absolutely amazing to eat cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment